Friday, December 12, 2008

Let it snow?

So I'm stuck here at YYC Calgary Airport as my second flight was canceled due to snow. I came to appreciate the on board computers and the skills of the pilots using them, because once we took off I didn't see the ground again until 2 seconds before hitting the landing strip. There is so much snow here you can't see more than 200 feet out of the windows of the building. I will eventually make it home but what I really wanted to talk about was.....

People hawking credit cards. I understand that in other cultures having a shop keeper yelling out to potential customers is quite normal. I can accept that and even enjoy it at times in other cultures. But in western society people just don't do a good job of it. As I walked down the hallway to my boarding gate I past three small kiosks each one of them hailed me to see what they were trying to get me to sign up for.

The first one I went to due to sheer boredom and then declined politely. The second kiosk I just waved off as well as the third which was for some RBC credit card of some kind. This kiosk was operated by two men as apposed to one person. Now being that I have been here for a considerable amount of time and I have had to use the washroom several times this kiosk is in between my gate and the washroom. I have also sauntered by in boredom. Each of these times I have been hailed by these two men and eventually I walked up and explained to them as to why I didn't want their piece of plastic.

He acted as if he understood my well formed argument and I walked on. But as I returned to my gate they summoned me as if they had never seen me before. COME ON PEOPLE! That's just bad business, try and remember people. If I were to forget patrons while working at my previous job I would have gotten chewed out not only by the patron but by several different managers.

I cannot tolerate laziness on the job you can slow down but come on use your brain don't just sit in your kiosk and spew words. Acknowledge people properly and respect them.

In other news I tried Glenfiddich scotch tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3 comments:

Muk said...

That sucks about the snow man. It started to snow a fair bit when I got on the highway this afternoon. If all else fails... caltrops.

At least you got some scotch to keep you company.

Hope the weather improves soon. Take care.

Chris H said...

Glenfiddich is good, but Balveny's is where it's at. Expensive, but liquid velvet, I tell you.

And, so help me, if you drank that scotch in any fashion other than "neat," you don't deserve it. People putting water (in any state), or anything else into scotch should go back to drinking - ugh - Jack Daniels...

Drewford said...

I agree I prefer it Straight. I tried doing it on the rocks once but it just wasn't good at all.